An exceptional individual looking for an exceptional opportunity
Check out Tom Olney’s resume. He is truly an exceptional automotive executive.
THOMAS C. OLNEY
13790 Belleterre Drive | Milton, GA 30004 | H: 770.569.4913 C: 770.377.6251 | [email protected]
To join a solid company as a General Manager where my extensive experience, exceptional people skills and solid financial background would be an asset to the organization.
AUTOMOTIVE OPERATIONS EXPERTISE
Highly accomplished, results driven Automotive Executive that delivers unique Automotive abilities and experiences to the marketplace at both the Dealership and Management Company levels.
• Public and private sector experiences
• Successful dealer operator / general manager of high volume import and luxury brands.
• Proven ability to manage operations of scale – retail locations with unit volume over 500 units per month, and multi-state operations approaching 1 billion in revenue.
• Financial education and experiences as a CPA with both public and private firms provides the underlying sound foundation that supports day to day operational decision making.
• Exceptional reputation in marketplace with manufacturers and finance institutions.
• Human Capital Development – proven track record in building high-performing operations, positive environments, accountability, high ethical standards, low turnover, and award winning CSI. People want to work in businesses that I manage and operate.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills utilized to resolve conflict and promote group problem solving.
CHEROKEE FORD, Atlanta Georgia
Aug 2008 – Feb 2009
Implemented actions necessary to keep dealership profitable during this difficult economic period. Actions included the restructuring of staffing levels, pay plans, employee benefits, expenses and marketing plan. Reduced new and used inventory levels to match market demand.
PENSKE AUTOMOTIVE GROUP (PAG), Detroit Michigan
General Manager, Honda Mall of Georgia, Atlanta Ga. (Jan 2007-Aug 2008)
Managed this high volume metro store with sales in excess of $118 Million and drove metrics including:
New Vehicle Sales
• Highest % of objective of any Honda District 7D volume store.
• YTD May 2008 ranked 33rd largest Honda store in nation, up from 55th a year earlier.
• Improved sales vs. facing Toyota dealer to current 1:1 from year earlier .8:1.
• Dealership was 137% sales effective in our ASA per American Honda Motors.
• Registrations vs. competitive makes in our ASA were 5% higher (24% vs. 19%) than Zone and Nation, with pump out 2:1 vs. pump in.
Used Vehicle Sales
• Ranked in the top 10 used retail volume stores in the nation for PAG out of 129 stores – ranked 4th in the nation in April 2008.
• Drove used car volume up 34% May 2008 vs. May 2007, and up 19% May 2008 YTD.
• Developed used car reconditioning system that resulted in cycle times from acquisition to front line ready of 2-3 days.
• Managed employee turnover to 16% YTD May 2008. This metric is less than ½ of PAG area, region or national averages.
• Presidents Award winner for 2 years – Ranked in top 1% of nation for Presidents Award dealerships.
• Maintained sales and service CSI metrics above Zone for all months managed dealership.
• Lead the store to set the following all-time records in May 2008 – new retail units, total new and used units, total front gross, total fixed gross profit, and net profit.
Area Vice President – Mid South (2005-2006)
Responsible for managing 12 stores in four states. Created and implemented infrastructure and systems to support growing operations.
• Successfully executed a UAG strategic plan to sell six dealerships and acquire one. Lead team of four people who negotiated transactions, executed Asset Purchase Agreements, conducted closings and oversaw post closing business.
• Improved operations of five remaining stores, and led the successful turnaround of a large volume Toyota location in Orlando, Florida.
VP/CFO Operations – Southeast Region (2002-2005)
Assisted with the development of a new region for UAG, which included designing and implementing financial systems, reporting, controls, and compliance for 12 accounting offices in five states.
• Led the acquisitions and / or sales of dealerships. Applied understanding of financial principles and practices and utilized my strong analytical skills to review and make recommendations regarding viable opportunities.
General Manager, United BMW (1996-2002)
Defined needs and built the management team subsequent to the 1996 acquisition of this BMW location into UAG. Grew the location to be the #1 net profit location in the Southeast.
• Increased sales in new and used vehicles, and grew parts and service operations year over year.
• Improved CSI and obtained BMW Center of Excellence status.
• Negotiated and obtained additional open BMW point in the North Atlanta market.
AL SERRA FORD, INC., Alpharetta, GA
Jan 1996 – Aug 1996
Chief Financial Officer
Relocated to Atlanta for family needs and served as CFO for 8 months in this high volume Ford store. Recruited back to UAG upon acquisition of Charles Evans BMW (United BMW).
UNITED AUTO GROUP, INC. New York, NY
VP, General Manager, Difeo Lexus, Olds & VW, (1995)
Assumed responsibility for this multi-point location with underperforming operations (Olds & VW).
• Stabilized Olds & VW by increasing New and Used volume and gross. Improved CSI to above Zone average.
• Increased Lexus sales to 23rd in the nation. Produced monthly profits in excess of UAG budgets.
Chief Financial Officer, Jersey City Operations (1994)
Promoted to reorganize a group of stores that encompassed 16 new car franchises with annual sales of 12,000 retail units and total sales of $300 million.
• Developed and implemented a used vehicle inventory report and daily electronic sales log which became best practices implemented throughout all UAG stores and is still used 13 years later.
• Created new procedures and controls to ensure intercompany entries were entered accurately and on a timely basis. Balanced intercompany accounts on a monthly basis for the first time in the company’s history.
• Instituted a system of accountability and review for each of the 492 accounting schedules.
VP General Manager, County Toyota, Nyack, NY (1993)
Hired to turn around a single point store. Assembled a team of managers and increased unit volume, gross per unit, and fixed gross per month. Drove CSI scores to above regional average.
HOLTZ HOUSE OF VEHICLES, INC., Rochester, NY
VP, General Manager, Controller
Managed daily operations and financial performance of three locations and eight franchises with annual sales volume of $66 million. Negotiated with banks during a financial workout to extend additional credit and terms.
HALLMAN CHEVROLET – Controller, Rochester, NY (1985-1989)
PUBLIC ACCOUNTING EXPERIENCES, Rochester, NY (1980-1985)
CLARKSON UNIVERSITY, Bachelor of Science in Accounting (1980)
BRIGHTON HIGH SCHOOL (1976)
Certified Public Accountant – New York State
Married 26 years, 2 sons, coached travel and high school ice hockey for 9 years, active in boating, tennis, ice hockey and hunting.